Saturday, October 20, 2012

Introduction and Days 1 & 2

Hello and welcome to my newest attempt at blogging:  365 days of cooking and blogging.

What does this mean?  Well, I'm going to try to record what I make for "dinner" for 365 days.  I think I do a fairly good job at relatively healthy meals without going overboard.  I also think I do a pretty good job at inexpensive meals.  What I'm not going to do:  I probably won't make it to the computer everyday.  However, I hope to at least take a picture and blog what I made.  

I like to make economical meals, but lately, I have been splurging for us. What this means is that I might purchase a little bit more expensive piece of meat, or maybe even go and pick up pizza.  Although that is not as easy as it once was.  Right now, only Jerry, my Mom and I can even eat it, as everyone else is following a gluten-free diet.  In fact, that brings up one more point, we have lots of dietary needs and food allergies.  While this presents a challenge, it is doable and not too hard.

So, "without further ado", let me introduce our dinners from tonight and last night, representing day one and day two of my blog.....

Last night, I used half the brown rice I had baked earlier, yes, baked.  I often bake rice at a 2 to 1 ratio, (2 parts waters, 1 part rice).  I put it in the oven and turn it on to 355 degrees and cook it for 1 hour 15 minutes.  Usually I do this in the morning or at lunch time and then it is available for dinner or common consumption.  Anyway, back to last night.  I took half or so of the rice, added cooked from frozen broccoli spears (I like the frozen kind from Sam's club, 4 bags for $5.95 and microwavable).  I also added about 1/4 cup of butter, (country crock), 1/2 cup cheddar cheese sauce, and about 3 tablespoons of gluten free "Cowgirl Ranch" dressing.  Then I topped it with crumbled cornflakes (gluten free, in fact, you can just assume something is gluten free unless otherwise told so) mixed with a tablespoon of country crock and a couple more tablespoons of the ranch dressing.  I baked it at 400 for about 20 minutes.  

I served it with celery stuffed with peanut butter or goat cheese mixed with a little ranch and water.  It was fabulous and everyone liked it; that almost NEVER happens!!



Next up:  Day 2, Today!

Today I just made cheese quesadillas from corn tortillas and mild cheddar cheese and blanco cheese.  I warmed the tortillas on each side briefly on a medium warm pan that I sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkled garlic powder.  Then I put about 2 tablespoons of cheese in each tortilla and cooked until the tortillas were brown and the cheese melted.  I served it with picante sauce and hot sauce and had celery with ranch dressing on the side.  Again, FABULOUS, simple and loved by all!  I'm 2 for 2!!!!  Wow!!!!!

Here's some pictures of the ingredients, cooking and finished product:




Both were VERY easy and VERY inexpensive.  I estimate spending between $1.50 - $3.00 total expense for each dinner.  Try them!!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment